Friday, April 26, 2019

Set Design - Part 1

The first thing I constructed was the the animation table which was to be the base for my set.  I knew that this would be placed on top of the University studio tables and that it would need to have enough space for me to put my arms underneath to tie down the puppets to the set.  I measured the mdf so that it would fit on the table exactly.  I ensured that the set had multiple supports so that it would be stable and hold up to potential drilling and pressure during animation.

Once the table was constructed I was free to dive into the set fabrication.  I stapled down a layer of AstroTurf and cut away a small section in the middle to serve as the performance area.   (See below)  I also set about building the tents from wood supports, hot glued together with cloth glued in place over the top.

I applied filler as well as a layer of pva and sand to the ground area.  I also added small sections of astroturf onto this area to bring it to life.

The backboard was fabricated from a large section of 6mm mdf which was supported with strips of 12mm wood.  This was then spray painted in first sky blue and then in parts with white for the clouds.

I painted the base and barrels in acrylic.  This was a great opportunity to utilize the painting techniques I developed as a teenager in Games Workshop.  The mountains at the back of the set were constructed with foam board.  I would later go on to paint them following the colour design set in my concept art.

No comments:

Post a Comment